The Victorian State of Engineering Report highlights the value of the engineering profession to environmental, social and economic benefits for Victoria, both now and into the future.
The report’s purpose is to identify areas where Victorian engineers interface with our lives and add value to the State, as well as celebrate engineering success stories.
The report was underpinned by a lengthy and wide-ranging consultative process. The process was informed by a range of stakeholders poignant to the Victorian engineering profession. These include: educators, industry, employers, professional associations, government, and industry representative bodies.
As part of the review, it was found that engineering is thriving in Victoria – it contributes around 25 to the state’s economic product. Engineers, as economic-enablers, add value to a wide-range of industries: waste and water management, environment, infrastructure and construction, energy and mining, pharmaceuticals, defence, manufacturing, alongside many others.
The review also identified a range of challenges for the engineering profession, including STEM in schools, adaption to technological advancements, as well as workplace diversity and environmental responsibility.
With the support of the Office of Projects Victoria, the engineering profession and community, wider government and other influential stakeholders the Victorian Chief Engineer is championing initiatives to address future challenges in the engineering industry.
The initiatives will aim towards enhancing engineers, projects, and the profession. In turn, these initiatives will improve the ethical and sustainable delivery of key Victorian infrastructure, and continued success for engineering-enabled industries.
- Build government’s engineering capability
- Develop a strategic framework for STEM education
- Attract more students to engineering
- Support international engineers
- Understanding how to achieve a greater and sustainable participation of women in engineering
- Increase industry engagement of engineers through internships
- Increasing senior women leaders in industry
- Apply best practice in risk and contingency
- Roll out digital engineering through the Victorian Digital Asset Strategy (VDAS)
- Improving Victoria’s sustainable construction and recycled products use
- Enhanced 10-year infrastructure strategy roadmap
- Promote research-industry collaboration in innovation
- Enhance cultural diversity in engineering
Government, industry, universities and professional bodies have an opportunity to contribute to improving our engineering workforce and professional environment. Contact us if you would like to engage with the Victorian Chief Engineer on realising any of these initiatives.
Access the Report
Victorian State of Engineering Report 2018 (PDF, 2.28MB)
Victorian State of Engineering Report 2018 (DOC, 724KB)